It is so important to keep our immune system strong and healthy to help us fight off infections. The immune system consists of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to protect the body against infection and maintain overall health. You can help keep your immune system healthy by ensuring you are getting enough vitamins and minerals.
Here are 7 super foods that are packed with vitamins and minerals that may help boost your immune system.
1.) Citrus Fruits & Red Bell Peppers are high in Vitamin C, which is thought to increase the production of white blood cells. These are key to fighting infections.
2. Broccoli boosts the immune system due to its high amount of minerals and vitamins that prevent your body from damage. Besides the antioxidant called glutathione, broccoli is rich in vitamins C and A and is one of the healthiest vegetables you could put on your table.
3. Garlic is not just a spice. It can be a powerful remedy. Garlic’s immune-boosting properties seem to come from a heavy concentration of sulfur-containing compounds. It fights skin infections and kills fungi, viruses and bacteria. However you need to consume raw garlic (not powdered forms) to really benefit from it.
4. Ginger is high in Gingerol, which is the main bioactive compound that is responsible for much of its medicinal properties. It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. It is also antibacterial so it helps support the immune system and fight of stomach nausea.
5. Sweet Potato Bet-carotene is found in both carrots and sweet potatoes. Beta-carotene transforms into vitamin A once your body digests the food. This vitamin restores cells that are damaged with free radicals.
6. Blueberries contain flavonoids which is a type of antioxidant that can help reduce damage to cells and boost your immune system.. In addition, blueberries are a great source of vitamins, including vitamin C and vitamin A.
7. Spinach contains many essential nutrients and antioxidants, such as carotenoids, Flavonoids, Vitamin E and Vitamin C that can help support the immune system.