Here are some of our top wellness tips that are based on scientific evidence.
1. Avoid processed foods – Foods that have been changed from their natural state
2. Drink plenty of water – Try to aim for 8 glasses a day.
3. Incorporate healthy fats into your diet such as avocado, nuts and olive oil.
4. Avoid refined carbohydrates and sugars. Added sugars are extremely prevalent in modern food and drinks. A high intake is linked to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
5. Eat fibre-rich foods such as whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits & veggies
6. Eat plenty of fruits & veggies as they are filled with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants & dietary fibre, which is essential for optimum health.
7. Be Active -as a general goal, aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day.
8. Eat Fatty Fish – aim for at least 2 portions of fish every week, 1 of which should be an oily fish such as salmon or mackerel.
9. Avoid Smoking & Limit your Alcohol intake- Heavy alcohol consumption is linked to liver, heart, and pancreatic disease, as well as an overall increased risk of early death. People who smoke may lose up to 10 years of life and be 3 times more likely to die prematurely than those who never pick up a cigarette. Both of these habits are important to avoid.
10. Meditate – The state of deep rest produced by meditation triggers the brain to release neurotransmitters that enhance feelings of well-being, focus, and inner calm. Meditation also reduces the stress hormone cortisol.
If you’re trying to live a healthier life, try not to just focus on the foods you eat. Exercise, sleep, and social relationships are also incredibly important.