There are many factors associated with developing breast cancer and no single food can prevent or cause it. However, research shows that by having a healthy diet can vastly improve your overall health, which ultimately can make a difference to the risk of developing cancer. But even with a healthy diet, you still need to get regular breast cancer screenings like mammograms and manual checks as these early detection tests can significantly increase survival rate.
Many foods contain powerful compounds that could help decrease the growth of cancer. There are also several studies that show that a higher intake of certain foods could be associated with a lower risk of the disease.
Here are 7 of the top Breast Cancer Fighting Foods:
• Leafy green vegetables such as kale, spinach and chard contain carotenoidantioxidants, including beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin which are associated with reduced breast cancer risk.
• Citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges and grapefruit are packed full of compounds that may protect against breast cancer, including folate, vitamin C, and carotenoids like beta cryptoxanthin and beta carotene, plus flavonoid antioxidants like quercetin, hesperetin, and naringenin.
• Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines and mackerel contain vital nutrients such as vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids that have been linked to a lower risk of cancer.
• Berries are an antioxidant powerhouse. Berries also contain flavonoids and anthocyanins, which have been shown to protect against cellular damage, as well as the development and spread of cancer cells.
• Beans- According to Harvard Researchers, for every 10 grams of fiber consumed daily, a woman’s breast cancer risk decreases by 7 percent! The researcher’s speculate the fiber helps to reduce high estrogen levels in the blood, which are strongly linked with breast cancer development.
• Herbs and spices like garlic, oregano, thyme, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger contain powerful plant compounds that may help protect against breast cancer. These include vitamins, fatty acids and polyphenol antioxidants.
• Walnuts are full of the disease-fighting omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and phytosterols whichmay reduce the risk of breast cancer, according to a study presented at the American Association for Cancer Research.